When it comes down to lifting and storing goods at big heights inside a warehouse, extensions for a forklift always come in handy. They allow you to reach normally inaccessible places with a traditional forklift. Having them attached to your forklift can come in extremely useful. The forklift on a Moffett truck is smaller in size as compared to a traditional forklift so it can use extensions at times. This blog will give you a complete guide on extensions you can get after getting a Piggyback forklift.
So, without waiting any further, let’s dive right in!
All You Need To Know About Extensions For Moffett Forklift For Sale:
Buying a flatbed truck with a forklift is a great idea if you get a used one. You can sometimes even get 2 used ones for the price of a new one. That is a huge benefit considering all the different mounts and levers a used one comes with. But what about the extensions you need for the forklift? Let’s talk about them in detail:
Are Extensions Legal?
A lot of people have the same question. They ask if OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) allows forklift extensions to be used. The problem is that laws and regulations around forklift extensions keep changing constantly. There used to be a time when OSHA was very strict about them and would not allow their use. But with time, they have allowed their use, and extensions are now legal. All you need now is the approval of an engineer specializing in forklifts. However, there are still some ground rules you need to understand.
OSHA Rules For Forklift Extensions:
Extensions for forklifts is not welded or attached with hooks. They are more like clamps that grab the mount and get fitted securely. Here are a few rules by OSHA:
- The extension should never exceed more than 1.5 times the length of the forklift as it becomes dangerous and could go off balance during lifting
- Extensions must come with clear and easy-to-follow instructions from the manufacturer so as not to create any confusion; they should also have their serial number and load capacity mentioned clearly
- Just like all the other attachments, the extension of a forklift must always remain partially loaded even if it is not carrying any load
- The extension for the forklift is something to be trained for before use. There must also be clear labels on the attachment and load weight
It is important to note that these are not exact rules and regulations and are susceptible to change with time. Always make sure you are up to date with all the rules so you stay compliant with the law. A great way to stay up to date is to contact OSHA directly so you have fresh information all the time.
If used but reliable Moffett forklifts are what you are looking for, then Truck Forklifts has some of the best in the game. You will surely be impressed with the service and quality you will get from them.
Best Way To Use The Extension:
It is crucial to go through the training course as it keeps the user familiar with all the functions and how to use them properly. Here is some basic information you should always know:
- Don’t load any weight on the tip of the extension, as it can cause the forklift to tip over, creating a hazardous situation. It can also mess up the extensions
- Extensions change the load-carrying capacity of the forklift. Once this capacity is hit, do not go overboard, as it can be dangerous
- Always check the extension for any kind of repair that may be needed. It is always great to have it replaced with a new one
If you read through the entire article, you are more than ready and equipped with the right information to get yourself extensions after getting a Moffett forklift. Make sure you are well-trained and ready to use it without any problems. With that said, we wish you the best of luck with your trucking business.
For further information, please visit the FAQs section below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do you extend a Moffett forklift fork?
You can buy extensions that can clamp onto the forks and extend their reach, allowing you to get to higher areas. Be careful when using them.
How do I choose fork extensions?
Before you buy an extension, measure the width of the forks of your forklift. Compare these to the dimensions of your fork extensions to ensure they fit and are safe.
How much do forklift extensions weigh?
Forklift extensions weigh anywhere between 470 lbs to 650lbs.
Read also know about abracada