Whether you want to save money or just want to be more environmentally friendly, making your own cloth napkins can be a fun and easy craft project. One of the best parts about making your own cloth napkins is that they’re completely customizable to your personal preferences in terms of size, material and color—you can create your own unique style just by using different patterns and prints! No matter what you decide on, here’s how to make bulk cloth napkins for your kitchen in no time at all.
Decide on the size of your napkins.
1. Purchase bulk cloth napkins at a Direct Textile Store.
2. Cut the napkins in half diagonally and hem the edges with a double stitch on each side of the cut.
3. Sew the two halves together, leaving an opening so you can turn it inside out, stuff it with cotton batting or polyester fiber fill, and hem the opening shut with a double stitch on each side of the opening.
4. Fill your new bulk cloth napkin with your desired filling and close off any open spaces by stitching them shut or sewing them up until you have a finished product!
Cut out your fabric.
Direct Textile Store offers a variety of patterns, colors, and sizes of bulk cloth napkins that can be personalized with your choice of embroidery. The fabric is easy to cut and sew on your home sewing machine. Here are the steps:
- Cut out the desired size and shape from the patterned or solid cotton fabric
- Sew around the edge of each napkin piece using a straight stitch (about 1/4)
- Fold in half and top stitch all around the edge with a zigzag stitch (1/2)
- Select thread color that coordinates with your embroidery color
- Embroider your personalization onto each napkin. Add additional designs or embellishments if desired.
Sew the sides of your fabric together.
1. Sew your sides of your fabric together, leaving an opening at the top.
2. Turn the fabric inside out and press it flat with a warm iron.
3. Fold over one side of the fabric a few inches and then fold it again over itself to create a clean edge. Repeat on the other side of the cloth napkin for a cleaner look. Tie a small knot in the end of each thread to finish your bulk cloth napkins.
Hem the edges of your fabric.
What you’ll need:
- Fabric – we used a linen/cotton blend for ours, but you can use any fabric that you like. Linen is a great choice because it’s sturdy and durable, but if you want something softer, cotton would be good too. Linen costs more than cotton does so be prepared to spend a bit more money.
- Ruler or straight edge – you need this to get the edges of your napkin even
- Rotary cutter- this will make cutting much easier and faster
- Pins- just a few should do the trick
- Scissors- another basic necessity in sewing projects
Wash and dry your fabric.
Wash and dry your fabric before you cut it out, because the fabric will shrink if it’s new or has a really tight weave.
Cut out one rectangle for the front of each napkin and two rectangles for the back of each napkin. You can do this by drawing a rectangle on some paper and cutting it out, or using a ruler. If you have an old sheet you’re not using anymore, this is a good time to use it! (The width of your fabric should be approximately twice as wide as the height.) If you want stiffer napkins that fold nicely in half instead of just folding over when they’re used, make sure one set of rectangles is about 1 wider than the other set.
Iron your fabric.
First, iron your fabric. Next, measure and cut the fabric into squares. Then, sew a hem on three sides of the square. Finally, turn the hemmed side up and fold it over so that the raw edge is inside. Sew this in place for extra stability. Now you have your very own bulk cloth napkins!
If you want to design your website Contact US: Web Development Company